Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Running In the Dark



It is that time of year again. The sun sets early and rises late and a lot of times a runner can be stuck in the dark trying to get a run in. Here are some products I use and would recommend for running outside in the dark.



A headlamp. One of the most important pieces of equipment. In the past I've liked the Black Diamond Spot headlamp. At a reasonable price of $40, it has multiple levels of light and provides a powerful light for even back country road running.



I wear the brooks arm (or leg) reflective bands. They velcro on and stay put where ever you wear them. Being seen is important! I find that these show up great for when I'm out in the dark.



Brooks also has a line of running gear called Nightlife. My wife and I wear it all year round. The color is great for day time running so cars notice a runner on the road and it provides a lot of reflective material for night running.


Lastly, my wife bought this New Balance running LED cap this year. It has three different light levels and is very handy because you always have your light with you when you wear the hat. However, she found it only good for running in lit locations (like between street lights). It isn't powerful enough for dark rural roads. The cap is also good for just before dark or if you are starting out early in the morning and the sun is rising.

Although I try to get to the gym and use the treadmill a lot through the winter, there are many times I'm outside running in the dark. Having the right running gear really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment